Rapid Window Cutter for Steel
Following the successful launch of the Rapid Window Cutter for Ductile Iron, SVI has worked with Wales & West Utilities again to develop a cutter which allows the removal of a window from a steel main.
Previously, like all GDNs, WWU had not been able to plan the replacement of its 200km steel networks other than by inefficient ‘open cut’ methods.
The design of this tool builds on the successful engineering of the Rapid Window Cutter for Ductile Iron with modifications to the air powered motor and blade system.
The cutter makes both semi-circumferential and longitudinal cuts, the latter using a light weight, easy to fit guide frame that allows free linear movement.
The Rapid Window Cutter for Steel is suitable for tier 1 mains with a maximum cutting depth of 13mm and comes with depth control discs which allow it to cut inserted mains safely without damaging the PE. The motor is air driven and is powered from a typical site compressor. The machine is quick to set up and easily operated by one person.
Typical cutting speed – a typical ‘top tee’ size window in less than 30 minutes; this is dramatically faster compared with existing approved tooling.
Benefits of Rapid Window Cutter - Steel
- Ideal for cutting windows in dead or live
inserted mains without damaging PE
- Suitable for all sizes of steel mains up to
- Extremely quick cutting time compared with
- Depth control discs prevents damage to
- Quick assembly time
- One person operation – simple to use
- Keep trench size to a minimum – no need to
excavate under the main
- Safe to use – cutting blade mounted safely
away from the operator’s hand
- Water feed line to prevent sparking and
prolong blade life
- Powered from standard site compressor
– no extra power source needed