PE Pipe Cutter
Steve Vick International (SVI) have developed, as a joint NIA funded project with Northern Gas Networks (NGN), a new PE Pipe Cutter for larger diameter PE. The PE Pipe Cutter offers an accurate, safe, and more efficient method of circumferentially cutting large diameter PE pipe when compared to traditional methods. It easily cuts pipes with diameters of 250mm and above, with wall thicknesses up to 70mm in one full pass. The machine is low profile, pneumatically powered and capable of accurately completing a full circumferential cut on 630mm PE pipe in less than 5 minutes. This compares favourably to standard cutting techniques and represents a significant time saving. The PE Pipe Cutter is safe to use in above ground and in ground scenarios and requires minimal clearance. With a total working height of 170mm the PE Pipe Cutter is ideal for use where space is restricted.
Michael Charlton, Innovation Implementation Manager at Northern Gas Networks, commented: “The Large Diameter PE Cutter is a product I am proud to have been involved in developing alongside Steve Vicks as it is a tool that the industry has long needed. Having witnessed the tool in action, I was really impressed with the speed and precision of the cuts that it was able to make on large diameter PE pipes below ground level. Normally this is something that not only takes a considerable amount of effort to do with a hand tool, but is also time consuming and very difficult to get a straight cut, which is vital when joining lengths of PE. I was further impressed with the tools function that collects the PE shavings, as this is something else that we struggle to control on site. Plastic shavings blowing around on site is not only bad for the environment, but can also find their way into the PE pipes that have just been cut, thus we are introducing foreign objects into the network.” The cutter performs with precision even when the pipe may be under bending stress which can cause blade pinch when using traditional methods. The swarf collector gathers the PE cutting waste as the unit rotates around the pipe, thereby reducing the amount of microplastics emitted into the surrounding environment. Traditional methods of cutting PE pipe, such as rotary cutting disc machines and chainsaws, have been known to be hazardous to operators with potential to cause serious injury. The PE Pipe Cutter addresses these operational risks, enabling the operator to complete a cut accurately and above all safely and in a shorter time when compared to existing tooling. The PE Pipe Cutter is robust, efficient, safe, ergonomic, cost effective and is a welcome addition to SVI’s extensive range of pipe cutting equipment which includes, Rapid Rotary Cutters, Rapid Window Cutters and Keel Cutters.
Benefits of the PE Pipe Cutter
- Extremely quick cutting time — approximately 3 minutes to cut a 630mm diameter PE pipe
- Very accurate cutting reducing the need to “finish” the pipe ends before butt fusion or socketing.
- Environmentally friendly — swarf is collected as the unit rotates around the pipe, reducing the amount of microplastics emitted with a 98.5% – 100% (depending in SDR) pick-up rate
- Lightweight — simple to set up and operate
- Versatile — chain can be easily adjusted or added to, to suit different pipe diameters
- Improved safety —negates hazards associated with chainsaws, circular saws or hacksaws as the cutting device remains enclosed in wall of PE
- Long lifespan — supplied with a range of bespoke cutting tools, maintenance tools and security case
Technical Specifications of the PE Pipe Cutter
- Clearance required: 180mm (6″)
- Minimum pipe diameter: 250mm (10″)
- Maximum cutting depth 70mm (2 3/4″)
- Cutting Speed: 1m per min
- Width: 130mm (5 1/4″)
- Height: set-up pos. 235mm/94/4″ cutting pos. 170mm (6 3/4″)
- Length: 250mm (10″)
- Weight: 12kg (26.5lbs) excluding chain