Some four decades ago, we developed a low-cost flow stopping system called FOAMBAG™, based on the use of expanding resin foam. This effective yet simple technique works on all types of pipe material including cast iron, steel and PE. FOAMBAG™ is extremely versatile and can be used on vertical or tapering pipes, bends and non-standard diameters.
The major advantage of using FOAMBAG™ over conventional flow stopping bags is that far less pipe needs to be exposed resulting in considerably smaller excavations and reduced reinstatement costs. FOAMBAG™ has become an industry standard technique in the UK and has been used in many areas overseas including mainland Europe, the USA, Scandinavia and the Far East.
The technique works by inserting a semi-porous bag into the pipe to hold the foam in place as it expands. At full expansion, some of the foam seeps through the semi-porous material to adhere to the pipe wall.
Although developed for flow stopping natural gas pipes, FOAMBAG™ can also be used to seal pipes carrying other gases and fluids.
Benefits of FOAMBAG™
- Systems meet UK gas industry standard T/SP/E/59
- Low cost, safe and easy to use
- Well proven technique
- Kits available for pipe diameters up to 10”
- Ideal where space is limited—needs less pipe length exposed than conventional methods
- Suitable for non-standard sizes, tapers, bends and vertical pipework
Specification Patent No. 2157390