FBOS – Foambag Operation On Stubs
Steve Vick International’s ground-breaking FOAMBAG Operation on Stubs (FBOS) technique, is the long awaited solution for fully decommissioning mains of engineering difficulty, such as stranded, one way fed, stubs or those found on mains replacement schemes.
The FBOS technique fully decommissions mains right up to the last transition joint on mains of 4”-6” in diameter. These sections of main and associated tee pieces into parent mains, can be impractical and costly to excavate due to the location often being under a busy junction or in a sensitive area. This makes the remote deployment of FBOS the ideal solution.
FBOS is a highly innovative technique compared to more traditional methods because it uses remote live mains insertion which can be used on both single or two way fed mains. Additionally, FBOS allows for greater insertion lengths, up to 25 metres and has an improved ability to navigate obstructions with a specially developed nosecone designed to negotiate bends, existing services and plugs. Due to FBOS’s use of SVI’s signature sealant technology, which seeks out and seals loose particles, issues relating to rust or contaminants are also reduced.
Benefits of FBOS
- Enables short sections of main, up to 30m to be replaced under ‘live’ conditions
- Can be used on one way fed mains
- Live head designed to negotiate bends, existing services and plugs
- The annular space of the old metallic main is fully decommissioned up to the final transition joint, avoiding the possibility of future leakage
- Ideal in traffic sensitive locations where access onto the main is restricted
- Replacement is undertaken from a remote location, typically 10-13 metres from where the pipe intersects with the parent main
- Trenchless Technology reduces environmental impact by minimising excavation and disposal of spoil
- Traffic Disruption is minimised