MACAW Pipe Crackers
Breaking out cast iron mains has been a long standing health and safety concern in the gas industry. This is due to the labour intensive tooling available, such as a sledge hammer or ‘podger’ bar, both of which have been associated with causing injury to operatives.
Steve Vick International offers the solution with the ‘MACAW’ Pipe Cracker range, so called because its pipe cracking arms resemble the powerful beak of the South American bird!
The MACAW attaches to the quick-hitch or bucket pins of a mini excavator. Controlled from the cab, and using the excavator’s hydraulic power, the operative manoeuvres the arms around the pipe and then applies sufficient pressure to crack the pipe. The MACAW may be used on cast iron pipes inserted with PE if required.
Benefits of the MACAW Pipe Cracker
- Safer and faster than using a ‘podger bar’ or sledge hammer
- Does not require access around the whole circumference of the pipe
- Controlled pressure applied – suitable on abandoned and inserted mains, without damaging internal PE
- Easy to operate—highly manoeuvrable
- Various power source options available to accommodate site conditions
- Quick set up
- Ideal for use with Live Mains Insertion